holtonomic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Dynasties'

2 posters

Go down

'Dynasties' Empty 'Dynasties'

Post by Robin_C Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 pm

I've been reading about nomic on Wikipedia, and found this:

"The longevity of nomic games can pose a serious problem, in that the rulesets can grow so complex that current players do not fully understand them and prospective players are deterred from joining. One currently-active game, BlogNomic, gets around this problem by dividing the game into "dynasties"; every time someone wins, a new dynasty begins, and all the rules except a privileged few are repealed. This keeps the game relatively simple and accessible"

Which implies that you're supposed to keep (at least some of) the amended rules from one game to the next. This is interesting because:
- I thought you'd start from scratch every time
- I don't think this is articulated in the rules
- It in turn implies a set of meta-rules about how rules are carried over from one game to the next - which may also be subject to change?

I can see the value of this - e.g. it would be good to carry over the rule that means the Invoker cannot be the Judge without having to propose it and give away points each time. It would stop the same opening to every game where we propose the rules we all want to play with anyway. Conversely, it may become difficult to introduce new people if there are too many of these 'carry-over' rules.

Final thought: I've resisted looking up strategies / proposals etc on how to win, as I like learning as we go. Suggest we all do the same.
Robin_C
Robin_C
Admin

Back to top Go down

'Dynasties' Empty Re: 'Dynasties'

Post by Neil Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 am

Yes, but as I said before, there is an original nomic, we don't have to play that.

So rather than codify, why not just have a conversation about which rules you want to start with next time then play? As a parallel: there are no rules about the selection of decks in Dominion.

Neil
Admin

https://holtonomic.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin_C Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 am

I think we should expand the Nomic rules to include a codification of deck-choosing for Dominion. And maybe some kind of feedback from VPs in that game to this one...
Robin_C
Robin_C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 am

Propose that.

I've checked and I think we keep writing 'codify' when we mean 'enact'.

Neil
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin_C Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 pm

I meant codify. Don't know what you meant.
Robin_C
Robin_C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm

enact

Neil
Admin

Back to top Go down