holtonomic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How geeky/complicated do we want this game to be...

4 posters

Go down

How geeky/complicated do we want this game to be... Empty How geeky/complicated do we want this game to be...

Post by michaelenstone Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:47 am

Looking at some of the other games of nomic on the web a lot of them have concepts tied to role playing and board games.  For instance some games have hats, items and a textural representation of a physical board.  Is this a direction people are happy for the game to go?  Neil's introduction of roles would seem to imply this.  

The original concept of nomic was to simulate the process of government and to act as a thought experiment on how laws get more complicated over time.  How do we feel about the introduction of governmental/bureaucratic style rules?  I was thinking of things along the lines of introducing the concept of standards and regulations that are referenced by rules but can be changed without majority consent.  I.e. "points are scored subject to the regulations set out by the committee formed of two player voted on every two rounds"

Just some thoughts...
michaelenstone
michaelenstone

Back to top Go down

How geeky/complicated do we want this game to be... Empty Re: How geeky/complicated do we want this game to be...

Post by ariich Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:12 am

To be honest, I don't have any particular preference. I liked Neil's rule because it adds an element of fun/whimsy/imagination, as well having an element of tactics to it. If the whole thing becomes wizards and dragons, that might get a bit much, but I don't see much danger in that...
ariich
ariich

Back to top Go down

How geeky/complicated do we want this game to be... Empty Re: How geeky/complicated do we want this game to be...

Post by Neil Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:29 pm

What I'm interested in:
* Complicated mechanisms which allows tripping over conflicts.  'Victory by impossible turn' entertains me more than points-based
* A game, where people compete and someone wins
* Using 'textual' when that's what I mean.

What I'm not interested in:
* Putting on my robe and my wizard's hat
* A game that never ends or has complexity of an in-joke sort
* Only using this as a vehicle for socio-political commentary and observation (I disagree that the original purpose was as 1-dimensional as suggested)
* Developing a flawless set of rules.

On that basis, although I used 'roles' that is only because it reflects a convenient vehicle for inserting a more interesting game mechanism.  Overall, I would enjoy a transition to more replacing / removing activity.  And I like playing with votes as Rich introduced more than playing with points as I introduced.

All that said, I think the different natures of everyone's proposals (nerdy, bureaucratic, brief, verbose or otherwise) gives an interesting reflection of our natures.

Neil
Admin

https://holtonomic.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin_C Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:11 am

I like the idea that our proposals expose our character.

I also agree with wanting to play, and have a winner, rather than become entangled and have a nice set of rules. And i guess one outcome of the game is to demonstrate how hard this is.

I'm keen that the game is pacy and streamlined though, so mechanisms that slow things down, or require additional voting etc don't grab me.

Finally, I'm fine with wizardry. The more goblins the better. Man, I love goblins. Basically, if it has goblins in, I'm interested.
Robin_C
Robin_C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down